How a Case begins
Code Enforcement cases can begin in a number of different ways; most commonly a complaint is called into the Department by a citizen. Complaints may remain anonymous or they may leave a name and number so they can be contacted in the future. To file a complaint in regards to Code Compliance, please us the "Let Us Know" section on the Home Page of this website.
General Outline of Case Progression
Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables.
- A complaint is received by the Department.
- An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property.
- The property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s).
- A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected.
- If compliance cannot be achieved through normal channels, the case may be forwarded to Municipal Court as a citation or the property may be cleaned up and a lien filed against the property.